Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Interview with Pageant Planet - Miss United States 2010 Behind the Scenes


Miss United States 2010 Behind the Scenes

jessicablack Miss United States 2010 Behind the Scenes
Miss United States 2010
The Miss United States Organization is another rapidly growing pageant system in America. A few weeks ago we had the opportunity to interview Jessica Black, the reigning Miss United States 2010.  In her interview she shares about her personal growth through pageantry and how she developed a true heart for leadership.
Q: Jessica you are the FIRST Miss United States to be interviewed for the Pageant Planet! How does that make you feel?
Jessica: I feel tremendously excited and honored. Pageant Planet is a fantastic outlet to the world of pageantry and has an enormous following.  I’m thrilled to be the first young woman to represent the United States Pageant System on The Pageant Planet!

Why the Miss United States Pageant?

Q: You competed in both the Miss Georgia America and USA systems prior to winning the title of Miss United States 2010.  How did you learn about the Miss United States pageant?
Jessica: Like most young women I grew up with my family around the Television, watchingMiss America, dreaming that I would one day be as graceful and talented as those stunning women. Then latter Miss USA System came to the forefront for most home television watchers. However, a few years ago I learned there was a third National System, a system that was very well know and also competed in Las Vegas on an amazing national stage with contestant from all over the US. I learned this system was called Miss United States and it had an incredible prize package and a chance for young women to promote their platforms all across the US. I visited the state website first and was very impressed –www.missgeorgiaunitedstates.com.

Motivation for Miss United States

Q: After not winning the title of Miss Georgia America or Miss Georgia USA what motivated you to continue competing in pageantry?
Jessica: That’s a really great question! The title of the Miss United States System is what made me compete again. “Dare to Dream, Take the Journey”.  I’m sure dozen of young women can relate to my story, after being a runner-up in the other two systems, I tried my best not to get frustrated. Each time I would say… “Hey, you did great, but what can you do better next time”. Just when I was about to thrown in the towel and hang up my pageant career, I came across the Miss United States System. I read in bold writing on their website “Dare to dream, Take the Journey” and it really made me want to not give up and continue to work towards my dreams of walking across a national stage. One of my friends, who had also competed in the Miss America and Miss USA systems, had competed in the Miss United States System and loved it. She explained to me that it was a wonderful mix between the Miss America & Miss USA systems. She told me she felt it was a very fair system to compete in and encouraged me to give the state pageant a shot.  I say to all women who are searching for a fun and realistic chance to compete – Miss United States is the system for you!
Q: Over the years you have been able to nurture and develop your platform statement.  What have you learned about service and leadership during that developmental phase?
Jessica: I learned there is no limit to volunteerism. When I first started in the Miss America System I had one platform and stuck to only that organization. As my platform statement has developed, I’ve learned to lend my hand to multiple service and non-profit organizations and bring a bigger impact back to my community. I now support Children’s Miracle Network, Children’s Hospital of Atlanta, The Ronald McDonald House, Make a Wish Foundation, Toys for Tots and many others amazing organizations.
The most important thing I’ve learned is now more than ever, our youth are in need of guidance and stronger role models. I’ve learned the importance of my role as a titleholder, to continue to help guide the youth around me to encourage them to volunteer and to give back to their communities. Everyone can make a difference, even if it’s only one person at a time.

Post Miss United States Plans

Q: What are your future plans upon crowning the next Miss United States?
Jessica:  My ultimate goal and dream is to one day starting a non-profit organization for terminally ill children and their families, that helps raise awareness and funds for research and patient care. I hope Miss United States is just one small step in my life’s journey of giving back to others!

No comments:

Post a Comment